We know everyone is always unsure of how to get to Mykonos, so here is a short guide that we think it might help you!
Mykonos is a very well connected place because you can travel either by boat from all the major ports in Greece either by airplane from many European and Middle East cities.
How to get to Mykonos by boat
The journey between the port of Piraeus (Athens) and Mykonos takes between 3hrs 45min with the highspeed hydrofoils and 5hrs 45min with the regular ferries. On a slow ferry, a seat in the economy class will cost approximately 35-40€. On a high-speed service expect to pay 60€-80€. In Piraeus, all the ferries to Mykonos depart usually from Port Gate Ε7. Although it is better to check the exact gate you are leaving with your travel agent or the local port authorities. Most of the ferries (only one ferry serves in wintertime) connecting Piraeus to Mykonos stop working by end of October and resume by April.
Many travellers probably don’t even consider Rafina as a possible departure port if they are heading to one of the Cyclades. But if you are arriving at the international airport in Athens you are often better off taking a ferry from Rafina. The journey between Rafina and Mykonos takes between 2hrs 30min with the fast ferry and 5hrs on the regular ferry. On the regular ferry expect to pay 35€-40€ per person for a seat in economy class. On a highspeed ferry expect to pay 60-80€. Most of the ferries connecting Rafina to Mykonos continue to work all year round.
Mykonos can also be reached directly from other islands in the Cyclades. More than once a day there is a boat connection from Syros, Andros, Tinos, Naxos and Paros. There are also daily boat connections from Ios, Santorini and Crete. Twice a week there is also a ferry, from Kavala, Chios, Samos (Vathi and Karlovassi) and Ikaria. There are less frequent boat connections from Serifos, Sifnos, Kimolos, Milos, Folegandros, Sikinos, Thirassia and Anafi.
- Fast Ferries provide regular ferries from Rafina.
- Golden Star Ferries provide also regular ferries from Rafina.
- Seajets have a regular schedule in the summer from Piraeus and Rafina.
- Blue Star Ferries have a regular daily schedule from Piraeus throughout the year.
- Minoan Lines have in the summer a daily high-speed ferry operating from Heraklio, Crete.
Pre-booking of ferries and high speeds is only necessary from mid-July to late August or just before or after a Greek holiday. Beware that every year on the 15th of Augustus the island of Tinos is a goal for thousands of orthodox pilgrims. Most ferries and high speeds from Pireaus and Rafina to Mykonos make a stop at Tinos. This means that around this period it is recommended to buy tickets well in advance. Also expect a lot of Greek tourists to visit Mykonos around the weekend of Pentecost, which is at movable dates.
Keep in mind that if you book your ticket online, you will still need to collect the ticket from a travel agency once you get to Greece. Boat services can be canceled due to strong wind. Weather cancellations are very rare, though, only a few days over the course of a summer.
Mykonos has also two ports! The old port in Mykonos Town, and the new port at Tourlos, about 2 km north of Mykonos Town (More details here). So do not forget to check before you travel which port your boat will use!
Reserve your ferry tickets to Mykonos island!
How to get to Mykonos by Airplane
Mykonos international airport (IATA: JMK), is about 4km away from the main town – (More details here). There are daily flights from Athens international airport (35 minutes) by Olympic Air, Aegean Airlines, Volotea, Ryanair and many more airline companies. During summer there are also frequent flights from Thessaloniki, Santorini, Crete (Heraklion) and Rhodes.
Domestic Destinations & Airlines
- Athens: Aegean Airlines, Air Bohemia, Air X Charter, Astra Airlines, Carpatair, Net Jets, Olympic Air, Ryanair, Sky Express, Tus Airways, Volotea
- Thessaloniki: Astra Airlines, Ellinair, Olympic Air, Sky Express
- Santorini: Aegean Airlines, Astra Airlines, Net Jets, Sky Express
- Heraklion: Aegean Airlines, Sky Express
- Rhodes: Aegean Airlines, BoraJet
International Destinations & Airlines
From May till October charter airlines fly directly to Mykonos from many European airports.
- Austria (Vienna): Austrian Airlines, Carpatair, Niki
- Belgium (Brussels): Brussels Airlines, Jetairfly, Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium
- Cyprus (Larnaca): Aegean Airlines, Cobalt, Olympic Air, Smart Wings, Tus Airways
- France (Paris – CDG): Aegean Airlines, ASL Airlines (France), EasyJet, Jetairfly, Small Planet Airlines, Smart Wings
- France (Paris-ORY): Aigle Azur, EasyJet, Transavia France
- France (Nantes): Volotea
- France (Basel-Mulhouse): Easy Jet Switzerland
- France (Lyon): EasyJet, Small Planet Airlines, Smart Wings
- France (Marseille): Volotea
- France (Nice): EasyJet
- Germany (Berlin): Eurowings, Germanwings
- Germany (Dusseldorf): Condor
- Germany (Cologne): Eurowings, Germanwings
- Germany (Frankfurt): Adria Airways, Condor, Ryanair
- Germany (Barden): Germania
- Germany (Munich): Aegean Airlines, Condor, Eurowings, Net Jets, Volotea
- Hungary (Budapest): Smart Wings
- Israel (Tel Aviv): Aegean Airlines, Arkia Israeli Airlines, Edelweiss Air, Tus Airways
- Italy (Milan-MXP): Alba Star, Alitalia, EasyJet, Meridiana, Neos
- Italy (Milan-BGY): Alba Star, Blue Panorama Airlines (Italien), Meridiana
- Italy (Genoa): Volotea
- Italy (Verona): Blue Panorama Airlines (Italien), Neos, Volotea
- Italy (Venice): EasyJet, Volotea
- Italy (Bologna): Blue Panorama Airlines (Italien), Neos, Ryanair
- Italy (Florence): Vueling
- Italy (Rome): Alitalia, Blue Panorama Airlines (Italien), Carpatair, Meridiana, Vueling
- Italy (Naples): Aegean Airlines, Bulgarian Air Charter, EasyJet, Volotea
- Italy (Bari): Volotea
- Lebanon (Beirut): Aegean Airlines, Astra Airlines, MEA Middle East Airlines, Wings of Lebanon
- Netherlands (Amsterdam): Smart Wings, Transavia
- Netherlands (Rotterdam): Transavia France
- Qatar (Doha): Qatar Airways
- Romania (Bucharest): TAROM
- Slovenia (Ljubljana): TAROM
- Spain (Madrid): Aegean Airlines, Enter Air, Iberia Express
- Spain (Barcelona): Blue Panorama Airlines (Italien), Vueling
- Spain (Santiago): Enter Air
- Sweeden (Stockholm): Enter Air
- Switzerland (Geneva): Easy Jet Switzerland, SWISS
- Switzerland (Zurich): Air X Charter, Edelweiss Air
- Turkey (Istanbul): AtlasGlobal, Turkish Airlines
- U.K. (London-LGW): EasyJet
- U.K. (London-LCY): BA CityFlyer
- U.K. (London-LHR): British Airways
- U.K. (London-LTN): EasyJet, Smart Wings
- U.K. (Manchester): BA CityFlyer, EasyJet, Thomas Cook Airlines
Please note that while every effort has been made to ensure that the above flight information is accurate, Mykonos Traveller cannot be held responsible for any changes that occurred in times or other details contained herein.
Reserve your flight tickets to Mykonos island!